Skip to main content

The Open Enrollment period has passed, but you still may qualify to enroll in Individual or Family coverage if you have a qualifying life event or complex situation.

Below is a list of the qualifying events that allow you to enroll during the Special Enrollment Period:

  • Loss of health insurance with in the past 60 days or expect to lose coverage in the next 60 days. Coverage losses include:
    • Losing job-based coverage
    • Losing COBRA coverage
    • Losing individual health coverage for a plan or policy you purchased yourself
    • Losing eligibility for Medicaid or Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP)
    • Losing eligibility for Medicare
    • Losing coverage through a family member
  • Changes in household size, including:
    • Getting married
    • Having a baby, adoption or placed a child for foster care.
    • Get divorced or legally separated and lost health insurance
    • Someone on your plan dies and you are no longer eligible for your current coverage
  • Changes in residence include:
    • Moving to a new home in a new zip code or country
    • Moving to the United States from a foreign country or United States territory
    • A student moving to or from the place they attend school
    • A seasonal worker moving to or from the place they both live and work
    • Moving to or from a shelter or other transitional housing

You must prove you had qualifying health coverage for one or more days during the 60 days before your move. You don't need to provide proof if you're moving from a foreign country or United States territory.

  • Other life circumstances that may qualify you for a Special Enrollment Period:
    • Changes that make you no longer eligible for Medicaid or the Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP)
    • Gaining membership in a federally recognized tribe or status as an Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act (ANCSA) Corporation shareholder.
    • Becoming newly eligible for Marketplace coverage because you became a United States Citizen
    • Leaving incarceration
    • AmeriCorps State and National, VISTA, or NCCC members starting or ending service.

If you believe you qualify for the Special Enrollment Period click here or on the New/Renew button on the main page.

For more information or for help in verifying your qualification, call one of our highly trained Health First Health Plans representatives toll-free at 877.904.4914.