Get to know your endocrine system.
You have glands throughout your body that produce and secrete hormones that are necessary for growth, movement, respiration, reproduction and metabolism.
Each gland has a specific set of functions that contribute to your wellness and health.
- Adrenal: Produces cortisol, known as the “stress hormone” and also controls your sex drive
- Hypothalamus: Regulates body temperature, hunger, mood, thirst, sleep and the release of hormones throughout the body
- Ovaries: Responsible for female hormones such as estrogen and progesterone, as well as testosterone
- Pancreas: Produces insulin that controls your blood sugar levels
- Parathyroid: Regulates calcium in your body
- Pineal: Produces and releases melatonin, which helps you sleep
- Pituitary: This so-called “master control gland” controls your other glands and also produces growth hormones
- Thyroid: Creates and releases hormones associated with your heart rate and your ability to burn calories
- Testes: Produces the male hormone, testosterone, and sperm