When you need help as fast as possible, Health First’s air ambulance, First Flight, will fly you to the Trauma Center at Holmes Regional Medical Center for expert, life-saving care.
Critical care in the air
First Flight is in the air within minutes of being dispatched and provides expert life-saving care when every second counts.
- We are Health First’s emergency helicopter transport service.
- First Flight serves all of Brevard County and surrounding areas.
- We transport our critical care patients to Health First’s Holmes Regional Medical Center.
- Our EC-135 twin-turbine engine helicopter is equipped with the latest satellite tracking equipment and night vision.
First Flight is licensed by the state of Florida to provide a variety of life-saving medical services and community education programs, including:
- Transportation of adult and pediatric patients
- Specialized transport of cardiac patients needing intra-aortic balloon pump therapy, Impella and transvenous pacemaker management
- Specialized transport of high-risk maternity patients
- Educational programs for the community and for other healthcare professionals
- Injury prevention and safety programs
Meet the flight crew
Our experienced flight crew includes medical personnel with training in emergency and critical care.
- Each registered nurse is also a state-certified paramedic with certifications in critical care and flight nursing
- Most of our pilots are military-trained with thousands of rescue mission flight hours
- Our medical director is a pilot and also board-certified in emergency medicine
We are proud to serve Brevard County. Our crew is available for community outreach and education programs.
- EMS presentation: A comprehensive presentation covering safety, operations, preparation of trauma patients and crash recovery.
- "Prom Night": Demonstration with EMS, fire and police departments using the helicopter to show the effects of alcohol or drug use and driving.
- High school presentation*: Presentation that covers safe driving, texting and driving, alcohol and drug use and driving, career choices and education.
- Middle school/junior high presentation*: Presentation about education, career choices and safety for students 12-15 years old.
- Elementary school presentation*: Safety presentation for our youngest community members with information on seat belts, bicycle helmets, airbags and outdoor activities.
*We do not use the helicopter for school presentations.
Additional EMS resources
- Flight Observer Program Objectives
- Observer Program Application
- Trauma Alert Criteria
Department of Transportation contact information
If you have questions or concerns about First Flight, please contact us directly or you can contact the Department of Transportation, or DOT.
File a consumer complaint online or by mail at:
Aviation Consumer Protection Division, C-75
U.S. Department of Transportation
1200 New Jersey Ave., SE
Washington, DC 20590